Sunday, June 16, 2013

San Diego, more ICADs and one full-size journal page

One place I have enjoyed visiting on a more than annual basis since moving not too far away is San Diego, California. During the two years my cousin lived just west of there in Coronado - and especially in the year my aunt and uncle were there too, we visited more than once a year.  But now they have both moved - my aunt and uncle back to Exeter, and the kids to Nebraska.  As of today, I haven't been back down south since then. In fact, it has been almost a year. Since Wesley's birthday was celebrated in Orange County in 2012, it was Bradley's first birthday that we last visited San Diego. 
But soon, Don and I will be headed south - almost that far. My brother is getting married at Moonlight Beach in Encinitas on July 4. We don't know about anyone else, as my parents' hotel is considerably farther away, but our hotel is the Day's Inn a few blocks from this same beach.
And so, I had to make an index card celebrating the past visits to San Diego, and the near future visit to, um, San Diego County.

 
I am glad that even though we are in poverty, we can go to the beach. I did a real art journal page about where I would go if I were rich instead. This one was prompted by A Year in the Life of An Art Journal, but it was fun to give that some thought. If i were rich, instead of the beaches of southern and central California, and the fun/work trips we make to Hollywood on a regular basis, I would fly somewhere. It would probably still be to a beach, but far enough away no one could come there and say hi to me. So probably, some deserted tropical island.


The topic of "city or map," one of the prompts for the ICADs last week, inspired this creation. This is my own little part of southern California, specifically the area between my condo and the City Council chambers.  Don and I, along with a Cal Poly student who was on the "planning" project Cal Poly had volunteered to help the city with, drew a similar but larger map on June 4 (minus the cute sun.) Then on June 6 the Cal Poly students presented a much more polished presentation to the City Council. Our city is supposed to be working on a general plan, but it of course, doesn't have the money to do so. So, it's working with a non-profit organization (Reach Out), Cal Poly Pomona and many residents to get some of the ground work done by very unconventional means.



 
These are a few more ICADs I've made in the past week or so, following prompts at Daisy Yellow.

4 comments:

  1. Great page! I love seeing what people dream up to do/be if they didn't have any limits!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the card that takes you to the beach. I'm sure your trip will be fun. I love San Diego. It's a great city with super weather.

    Sometimes volunteers have to step in to get a project under way, or to see a grant through to completion. I hope your project gets its due.

    I especially like the IC that spotlights the Christmas stamps. Some of my favorite embellishments to use in my art, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The card that takes the trip[ to the beach is very effective... but it looks like you had a great time with all of them... such a variety...xx

    ReplyDelete