Saturday, January 12, 2013

The cat and the rain


This picture of Segunda is an older picture, but with some rain this week it and Daisy Yellow's 6ix 2 prompt kind of sum up how I feel about some things. So last night, I made this art journal page following the prompt: Use lime green, rain drops, acrylic paint, ogee pattern (I've done a very poor job on that part of it, but it's the pattern where lines curve in and out to form near circles), grunge (I've grunged up all the edges but I think it's only visible near the lower left corner) and treasure hunt.

My initial thought was that, unlike last week, this prompt had nothing to do with journaling and everything to do with art, except  drawing. Instead of the cloudy rain drops, and the cat under the umbrella, I was going to drop mist onto the page (the nearest color mist I have to the blue green scheme is purple) and save it for another journaling prompt. Which may or may not have come to me.

But I'm behind others on this prompt, and quite a few who have done it before me focused on hand-drawn raindrops and umbrellas. Which led me to think of this photo, one of several I have of various rainy days when our curious cat posed under the umbrella.

A number of other people used "treasure hunt" as a journaling prompt only, but I had always known this page would have a few jewels. The blue and white ones remind me of some toys I gave the cats before our Christmas trip, which Segunda had claimed and hidden within hours. Segunda, of course, hates rain. So I would not want her or her treasures rained on.

There is one treasure that has been rained on the past seven days. Last Sunday, I had taken fiveweeks off Riverside Road Runners. Three because of a nagging cold that I wanted to be sure was better before our trip, and two because of the trip itself. Although I timed my Sunday run on the beach of Cayucos to take place at the exact time the Roadrunners would be on the streets back home, by Jan. 6 I was looking forward to getting back into that Sunday morning routine. However, Don wanted to go elsewhere at 10 a.m., which is later than I would usually get back. We agreed I would go to Riverside Road Runners only if it was not raining.

I woke up at 5:30 and it was not raining. I got dressed and was already to go, except I could not quickly locate my purse. And after what was probably less than a minute of looking, I heard Don cry out from the bedroom "It's raining!" Drat. It was so little rain the Riverside Road Runners had no problem with it. But I missed a sixth week in a row.

Last Sunday night, my friend Terri - who got me into Riverside Road Runners - found me at church and told me I needed to volunteer for the Citrus Heritage Run, which was today. So I did. And now, come rain or shine, I will be back there to actually run tomorrow. Don't rain on my treasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment