Saturday, September 6, 2014

Some artwork from Daily Paper Prompts

My favorite place to find prompts for my art journal is DaisyYellow.com The owner of this site, Tammy Garcia, is a talented and inspiring artist. She's had plenty of inspiration on her site lately.

The Daily Paper Prompts

Technically, these ran July 1 through Aug. 31, but you can start and finish these anytime. I'm still working on mine,

Technically, you are supposed to use one prompt for each page. I've got a few of those. I will post at least one of those another day. But, not all of mine are one prompt per page.


On these two pages, I incorporated prompts 2 through 12. For the most part, I used my watercolor pencils, which can create very interesting subtle effects when you apply water to them. Some of these prompts I took rather loosely, but the prompts were:

2. Windows: Cut holes into paper and let other paper show through the window. I cut a logo out of some scratch paper, and then used it to color the yellow square shown here on the top page.

3. Drips: Very subtle here, but at the bottom of the top page you can see that my watercolor pencils were applied with enough water to make them drip.

4. Flowers. I drew them in the top right side of this page for the prompt, and leaves on the bottom of the right side. I later drew more flowers on the second page.

5. Linear: I drew four very straight lines on the top page. I used the same scratch paper from Prompt 2.

6, Certificate - That left a great box to certify something, especially with the "gold medal" from Prompt 2 already on it. I certified the page was already a complete mess, but I wasn't done yet.

7. Leftovers -  It's hard to see on the blog, but a portion of the now very colorfully-edged scratch paper is glued to the bottom of the top page.

8. Faded -  Cut paper into four pieces. Put some color on each piee and do something to make it look faded. I drew more flowers with the watercolor pencils and applied the water brush to these. Since I was running out of room on the top page, I glued these to the facing (bottom) page.

9. Game - This prompt is key to another project I'll post after this one, which then inspired yet another project. But for this page, I found a picture of 1936 Olympic torchbearers in a magazine, and decided the Olympics were the perfect game to represent this prompt.

10. Stitch paper - This is perhaps the most loosely interpreted prompt, because I don't have thread for stitching on hand. So I perforated the torn edges of my photo with a needle anyhow, then glued some fiber to the other page.

11. Ogee Pattern - This is my second year going through this same list of prompts with Daisy Yellow, and the first set of creations from them are in the same journal. I went all out with a few ogee patterned pages in 2013, but this prompt never has been my favorite. So, I drew one row of ogee pattern at the top of this multi-prompt spread. Later, I added a border sticker that I thought looked a little like a small scale version of it.

12. Use a circle sticker - The blue one with the crown

 And that was enough, I think. I moved on to new pages for each prompt I've done since then. But I didn't completely leave these prompts alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment