Friday, September 12, 2014

Finishing my yellow accordian journal

Last post I shared two small accordian journals made from file folders, a creation inspired by the website DaisyYellow.com (fun stuff there for art journals). Since then, I have modified three of the five creations on my yellow jouran, and added a few more on the back side of it. The yellow art journal is now finished, and I even found a way to incorporate it into my larger art journal.

Here's what I did.


I added a citron wash to the citron forest. I added a lemon wash to the yellow flip-flops, but then I cut some flip-flops from yellow pattern paper and glued them on my poorly drawn ones. I added vermillion wash to the red and orange record album logo. I added the washes with water color pencils and a water brush. I also added a little peach-colored paint to the peach-colored pattern paper with the Willy Wonka theme.


DaisyYellow.com's Fun Color Prompt Challenge for week two was colors sepia, lavender, tangerine charcoal and sky, and things house, wave or surf, torn paper, tulip and color wheel. I took more liberties with the challenge this week. I hope they will forgive me.

I started with a photo of surf, and a hint of sky. I added a little more sky blue into the water, which was initially an attempt to write "somewhere" on the page like I did on  a photo of this same beach in my regular art journal. I also doodled blue waves around the photo, similar to what I had done in the art journal.

Next, since the technique produces the desired color, I turned to the technique of tinting a photo sepia on a computer. The photo is of me, standing behind my house. Mine is the one with the bushes. When a photo of tulips showed up on Facebook, I knew it had to be in there too. I also knew I was going to use one of my many quotes, and I was going to "burn" the edges of it by adding black and brown ink. (Charcoal the edges by adding mostly black?)

But how was I going to incorporate the lavender and tangerine color prompts, and the torn paper and color wheel thing prompts? Then it dawned on me. Use the color wheel tool to help develop the color scheme, and use the decades-old technique of tearing pieces of paper on the page to add texture.

That really only worked on the sepia photo, and perhaps to a lesser extent, the tulips. See, if I had to do the color wheel to pick colors to match the beach photo, I would have had to have picked red. And that just didn't work.

But in between sepia and lemon yellow (the journal's color on the color scale, you have orange (tangerine) and yellow orange. A few scraps of cardstock to accent the sepia photo, and one striped scrap to accent the charcoaled quote fit the bill.

That left lavender to accent the tulips photo. Fine. It had four of the next five colors on the color wheel, with red and pink representing two shades of the same color.

That left me with only four prompts. Once I had the message explaining the liberties I had taken (instead of Tammy's Fun Color Prompt Challenge, mine was the Color, Technique and Tool Prompt Challenge) I still had  one leftover spaces. But that worked well for me.


I used the blank space to glue the small yellow art journal to the main art journal.


Since there are only four prompts on the back side, nothing is covered up. I still have room to do more to the page if I so choose.

1 comment:

  1. So cute.... Bright and Sunny Yellow. The flip flops and lollipop are really cute.

    ReplyDelete