Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A trip to San Diego (Coronado)


San Diego, as seen from Coronado


A birthday party for me and for Aaron


Followed by a Jimmy Buffet concert

I wanted to share a few photos because I really should have blogged about what we did the second weekend in March. We had a fun trip to Coronado to see the Hughart and LePore family. Also making the (eight-hour in their case) trip were the Van Curens, aka my parents and brother.

The purpose of this trip can pretty much be summed up in the three photos posted above. It was the Van Curens first time to see Coronado (or San Diego) since my aunt and uncle moved there in October. Aaron has visited San Diego a few times in recent years to see his friends Rob and Mary (who accompanied us to some of the weekend's activities), but I am not sure about my Mom and Dad. None of the three of them had been to Coronado at all, as far as I know. We had visited San Diego as a family in 1981 or 1982, and as far as I know, that's the last time my parents had been there.

Don and I have visited more often, including trips to Coronado in November to see the Hugharts, and in March 2011 when the Lepores first moved there to see them. When we went in March of last year, we had made enough previous trips to San Diego, we were able to tell them where many things of interest were. San Diego itself can be reached easily from our house in less than 2 hours, Coronado in less than 2.5.

But back to this trip. We had to go from San Bernardino, where I interviewed for a job that is temporary, but will hopefully last until after the November election. It's with the San Bernardino County Registrar of Voters. I am still waiting to find out at this point, March 21. Don't expect to know until next week. It took us three hours. When we got there, my parents still were 1 or 1.5 hours away.

Once my parents arrived, my Mom and Aaron met us, and Aaron's friends Mary and Rob, at a restaurant in Coronado called Peohe's. This was my second "special birthday dinner." Don and I had already done another special birthday dinner in Palm Springs on March 3, but Don had of course thrown in his obligatory concern that this was too expensive. My parents show no fear in this regard. My mom was the one showing no fear this time, because my Dad was getting over a bad cold, and was too sick to join us for many activities.

Because Aaron also had recently had a birthday, this was his special birthday dinner too. In fact, the restaurant staff kind of messed things up, at the end. After doing 100 things right.

We had ordered one desert for all eight of us to share. For some reason, the restaurant decided to give HIM the desert with a candle on it instead of me. Most of our table objected, since it was not Aaron's 50th, so the desert was moved to me for blowing out the candle and taking the first bite. It was delicious. We probably should have ordered two. I may be the only one who thinks that though.

We had another special birthday dinner the next day. This one was made by Ron, Annie and Jodi and served to us (the same people as Friday, plus my Dad, Jodi and her sons) in the clubhouse of the apartments where the Hugharts and Lepores live. It included steak, grilled vegetables, appetizers and cakes for both Aaron and me.

And after the dinner, Don and I, my Mom and Aaron and Annie and Ron went to a Jimmy Buffet concert. This was Aaron's sheer joy. I thought it was pretty cool too.

I have scrapbooked all the pictures now. I am going to share one of those pages with you, since I opted to post it on Two Peas.


Steak and Cake, the "birthday party" in photos and remembered in my favorite color, purple

No comments:

Post a Comment