Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 2 of the Creativity Queue Challenge




My most recent creations in the Art Journal


I just wanted to update on my art journal project, since this is Day 2 of the Creativity Queue Challenge at Daisy Yellow.

Monday, I posted the first of these two when it was in process. I had created the yellow background with paint, watercolors and ink. I still have a lot to learn about all those mediums, but I'm looking forward to doing so in this process.

I do like how this one turned out. The new background is Christmas wrapping paper, depicting a "Holy Land" scene with the three wise men. But when I put a rectangle of white paper on top of it, only a palm tree remained. And palm trees are one of the many things that make me think of my own homeland, southern California. I have lived in California since just before I was 2, but only about half of that time in southern California. So when I think of the state as a whole, I also think of the Gold Country. Thinking about yellow and the state of California makes me think of a number of things, so I listed them here, then ran the yellow watercolor pencil and brush over the journaling.

Today, I created another art journal entry, and this one uses a medium I am a little more familiar with. Although I can't say I have ever made a frame like the ones on this second art journal page on a scrapbook page, this was a good use of some really old scraps. I mean, I've had those yellow and green scraps since I lived in Apple Valley. So that's somewhere between 8 1/2 and 10 1/2 years. I have had the red scraps quite awhile too, and the blue and purple ones for a few years. Since I never throw my scraps away until they are tiny, this was a good way to use some up.

I have been scrapbooking the past two days as well. I haven't finished my most recent creation yet, just everything except the journaling. I may post it soon. It's going into Abigail's second year album, as it is about how she and her parents celebrated St. Patrick's Day. Instead, here is a recent layout of her (but not a recent photo) that I'm keeping for myself.

I still enjoy scrapping Abigail's baby photos, but I need to do more of her as a 1-year-old

That album is slow in coming. I am not sure why. When she was born in 2010, I was excited about becoming a grandmother, and wanted to do lots of pages about her. But I knew I couldn't scrap every photo of her when Holly sent us about 400 of them in Abigail's first month, maybe 1,000 in her first six months. Still, the Two Peas board inspired me to do some pages, and some of those important milestones in her first year inspired me to do some more. I sent Holly a good-sized book for Abigail's first birthday. But now she's 18 months old, and I have done all of seven pages for the new album. Her 1st birthday, Halloween, Christmas, that very important announcement about a future new sibling we received in January, and now St. Patrick's Day.

I don't even know that I would have started, except that her first birthday photos matched Challenge 2 over at Color Stories International. That prompted me to do the first page. Challenge 10 also prompted me to scrap a photo of her - a baby photo that I will keep for myself.

Getting caught up on our own 2012 photos prompted me to do a few more pages for Abigail, including St. Patrick's Day. But I hope something comes along soon to challenge me to do a few of the more every day photos. I suspect in the past year Holly has only posted a few hundred photos on her blog, as opposed to sending us 1,000 in the first six months through Kodak Share. But 1,000, 500 or 100, I still can't scrap them all. But I will keep you posted on what I do scrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment