Wednesday, November 2, 2011

More thoughts on the spiritual realm

One legacy I am sure I will leave is my interest in the spiritual, which from time to time I write out in short essays, i,e. what a certain scripture means to me. I also firmly believe that when I am directed in my spiritual studies to look at the same scripture twice in one week, as is the case here, it's pretty important stuff that God wants me to know. Since God has given me the gift to write fairly well, and I am pretty sure he wants this little blog to exist to show others his glory through my writing, I am doing so.

I wrote the following essay after the Sandals Church Marriage Conference, in which guest speaker Paul Tripp actually challenged us, could we write 10 pages on Matthew 6:34? Could we write five? Could we write a paragraph? A sentence? I did not feel called to write five or ten pages, but the 760 words below seemed right. They examine Matthew 6:34 in the deeper context of Matthew 6: 19-34. Now my women's Bible study, we are studying Matthew 6:19-24, and next week, we will be looking at these verses some more, along with Matthew 6: 25-34. That may give me even more to say about Matthew 6:34 in two weeks, but for now I offer this insight.




WHY THERE IS NO NEED TO WORRY
Matthew 6:34
“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

As I write this, I have plenty of reason to worry about tomorrow. My husband has been unemployed for two years, and may run out of unemployment before he qualifies for a retirement pension in 10 months. Meanwhile, I too, was unemployed for two months, although I have found part-time work.
Although the prospect of trying to making it financially on one part-time income gives me plenty of reason to do so, Matthew 6:34 tells me I have reason not to worry about tomorrow. In fact, I don’t really need to worry about today either.


Why? Whenever the word “therefore” is seen in the Bible, you have to look back beyond that verse. Verses 28-33 start, respectively, with “And,” “Yet,” “If that is,” “For” and “But,” so they also indicate more of the passage should be considered. I believe a much more clear understanding of the passage is understood if we consider verses Matthew 6:19-34.

In verses 19 and 20, Jesus gives direction: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal, but store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. “

He gives reason for this in v. 21, “For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.” So, our heart is to treasure the things of heaven, not earthly treasures. No one can take our heavenly treasures from us, but in this century, people have lost many earthly treasures, such as jobs, homes and investments. Jesus never wanted us to focus on these in the first place, because what he has to offer is so much better!

Verses 22 and23 tells us “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are good, your whole body will be full of light. But, if your eyes are bad your whole body will be full of darkness.” A key to understanding these verses is found at the start of another gospel, John 1:4. “In him (God), was life, and that life was the light of men. John 1 quickly then introduces us to the Christian concept that God has made himself known through Jesus, and therefore Jesus is the way from a world of darkness and misery into a life of enlightened and joyful living.

We need that life-giving light that can only be obtained in God. We do not need most of our earthly treasures! In fact, even if we lose our homes, God will continue to provide for us. Therefore, we must focus not on the earthly things that we have lost or never had to begin with, but on God who gives us life and is everlasting.

What is most important in your life? God or earthly treasures? Verse 24 tells us we must pick one, because “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.” If you value earthly treasures, you will focus your attention on getting more of these. If you value God, you will focus your attention on knowing him better.

Verse 25 says this is why one need not worry about the basic necessities of life, what you will eat, or what you will wear. Verses 26-29 compares us to birds, who despite lacking the intelligence to store up food after the harvest season, receive God’s provision daily, and to flowers, who do nothing whatsoever, but still rise up from the ground beautifully.

Neither birds nor flowers worry. Nor should we. Not worrying takes faith, but God gives us reason for that faith in Jesus. Those who do not have faith can only pursue earthly treasures, for they cannot believe there is any other. Yet those of faith can know that God loves us, God cares for us, and God will not deprive of us of what we need.

Verse 33 gives us further insight as to why we should not worry about things. Not only will God supply our basic needs, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

And that is why we need not worry about today or tomorrow. Instead, today, we should be focused on what we can do to see more of God’s good light.

No comments:

Post a Comment