Saturday, November 3, 2012

Doodling and drawing



Since taking up art journaling as a new hobby, I have  become bolder about one thing, and that is simple drawings. I have drawn very crude drawings of a favorite childhood doll, the Chicago skyline, a country road (well probably a Jurupa Valley road that was a country road when I first saw it), a more urban street that is definitely in Jurupa Valley, some abstract thing that was like art on the cover of one of Don's record albums, a bird, my shoe, flowers and trees, these artsty things called mandalas that I had never heard of before taking up art journaling, and my kitchen. As well as countless pages where I drew "doodles." These were popular in scrapbooking a few years ago, so I tried my hand at simple doodles on my layouts then, and not long after invested in some acrylic stamps that looked like what I could doodle then. Now, along with drawing, I am branching out a bit more in my doodling attempts. This one is an example. Where as I might have just drawn a loopy line in the past, today I drew seven lines of interconnected circles. I was inspired after looking at a chain the 13-year-old daughter of one of my favorite Art Journal masters, Tammy Garcia of Daisy Yellow, had drawn. My chains aren't quite as good as Tammy's daughter's, but I bet she's had more practice than me.

I chose green because there's a new art journal challenge and it's on my favorite scrapbooking website, Two Peas in A Bucket. The challenge there gives four prompts each week. This one was "use green, use paint, use the words "I am grateful" and use "some doodling." (I think I used more than some.

Art journals is usually about layers, and while not all of mine have multiple layers, to get the "I am grateful" part of this onto the page, this one needed a simple top layer. This is one of the many pages in my journal that I am not sure are finished.  But, I will be moving on until another week's challenge or one of Daisy Yellow's prompts inspire me to add more.

2 comments: