Thursday, September 13, 2012

Color studies

I'm going to let you in on one of my best scrapbooking secrets here. Scrapbook.com has a tool that makes picking colors easy! Just add a photo and look at the colors it chooses. Do any of those colors make a pleasing color combo? Then that's the colors you should use! Even if they aren't the colors you were thinking of.

Are those colors not making any combinations you like? Then pick one of the colors, just one, any one. Even if you're surprised to see it as one of the choices. Just make it a color you like.

Now pick any one of the schemes on the right. Because I am sure that since you liked the one color you picked, you will also like the colors that combine with in monochromatic, complementary, analogous or split complementary or triadic color schemes. At least you will like one of those combos, maybe more. But just pick one from there.

Now that you've identified two, three or four colors that you like, you will use those colors to select what else you need. Theoretically, that stuff will match the colors in the combination you just selected. But it may only inspire them.

Here is a layout that is my case in point.


The color scheme I picked from scrapbook.com capitalized on the green that is predominant in these photos, and the orange that many of the runners are wearing.  From the orange, I selected the triadic color scheme, which throws in a green a little darker than the one woman' shirt, a blue the color of Don's shorts and a little darker orange. Based on that scheme, I picked both of the green pattern papers in this page, the grass and the geometric shaped print. I was not able to find a suitable orange paper among those I already own, but I did find this yellow polka-dot paper. And yellow and green is a nice combo to me! My almost high school, Le Grand, had it for school colors. (Really glad I got to stay at Chowchilla High and its red and white though.) Because of things that coordinate with the yellow paper, I also changed the blue to a lighter shade. Although the blue is almost cobalt on the far left circle (which is not cut off in real life), in the C in camp and all the letters in Corona, even that blue is lighter than I had originally planned, and the more predominant blue, in the pinwheels, in three of the other circles, and in one of the O's in Boot, is almost pastel. But I think it works, especially since I also was able to incorporate three shades of orange in the words Boot Camp and the circles on the bottom. I have been loving the colors in this Splash collection of Echo Park (from either summer 2010 or 2011), for awhile, so I hope when I run out of Splash, something else is out there with them.

I'm working on another layout right now that took this color matching tool a step farther. The photo for that layout is of my granddaughter wearing yellow pajamas. I would have thought some kind of cheery yellow would have shown up as one of the color choices, but that did not happen. Instead, a shade of lavender was one of the predominant colors. I love lavender, and that's the complement of yellow, so I went with it!

If you use the complementary scheme with most shades of lavender, it will give you three hues of lavender and one of turquoise to choose from. To me, lavender and turquoise are lovely together, but when scrapbooking a little girl in that combo, pink is a great addition. And so, I found in my stash of supplies a few lavender things that would work, and a bunch of pink and turquoise things. I actually do have a lot of lavender things, but  how I decide which things to look at first, and which to use, is a little bit of trial and error I think most artists of any kind may be familiar with. But I still was not expecting what happened. When the page came together, there was absolutely no lavender on it. Just pink and turquoise. I love it, and I hope Abigail will too. She's getting this page, along with an entire scrapbook about the time she was ages 1and 2, for her third birthday.




No comments:

Post a Comment